August 25, 2010

Statistics



I came across some statistics while reading The Grief Club by Melody Beattie and felt like I should share them...this book was published in 2006 so they are already 4 years old and I am sure the numbers have increased.

*The official number of suicides in the United States is approximately 30,000 a year but the actual number may be three to five times higher because many suicides go unreported.

*Suicide affects all ages, races, and genders.

*Suicide is the 11th leading cause of death in the U.S.

*Most people have had casual thoughts of suicide.

*People coming from a family where someone has killed him or herself are several times more likely to commit suicide.

*Of the 30,000 annual reported suicides, 24,000 are men.

These statistics are much higher than they should be! I put these out here to give us all something to think about and make people aware! Please hug your families a little tighter, never get tired of saying I love you, and follow your instinct to call your neighbor, friend or loved ones! No one should ever have to experience the pain that suicide causes for so many people! Don't let it be too late!

1 comment:

Becky Andrews said...

Thank you for the reminder to treasure each day. Those statistics are so sad. Each one represents such heartache and pain.